Appointments

First Session

50 minutes


First time to Pelvic Prime?

Choose this scheduling option for

all Evaluations.

Follow-up Session

50 minutes

Welcome back!


Choose this scheduling option for

all Follow-up appointments.

We are currently only filing insurance with Medicare Part B.

For all other insurances, (including Medicare Advantage) you will need to file your own insurance. We can provide you with a Superbill Medical Receipt that you submit to your insurance provider for reimbursement


Phone or text: 803-716-9723

Fax: 803-845-4793

Rea@pelvicprime.com

What forms of payment do you accept for cash clients?

We accept cash, credit card, debit card, check, Venmo, or Zelle.


For credit/debit card payment processing, there is a 3.75% transaction charge.

How much does physical therapy cost?

The cost of therapy depends on what we do.

What we do in therapy depends on what you need and what you want. Each treatment plan is customized to you.

The unit pricing for each treatment is based off of Medicare CPT code guidelines.

Have Medicare Part B insurance? Great, then Medicare will cover 80% of all the treatment options. If you have a supplemental insurance plan, the remaining 20% should be covered by your supplemental insurance. If you do not have a supplemental plan, you will pay cash for the remaining 20% at the time of service.

In order for Medicare to cover your visits, you need to first have a referral faxed over to us.

Our fax: 803-845-4793.

Not sure about the type of insurance you have or what is covered? Just give us a call and we can discuss it.

What if I don't have Medicare insurance?

You will be given a Superbill receipt. A Superbill is a detailed medical receipt that allows you to bill your insurance directly.

You simply submit your Superbill receipt to your insurance provider. Please visit our Documents page to find your provider's linked form. If we don't have your provider listed, please let us know.